Thoughts on the Behringer ADA8200 Ultragain
I ordered the ADA8200 to expand the I/O on my Motu 828 MkII as I have 5 synths that I like to use and don't want the hassle of plugging and unplugging them. Also it is a good way of future proofing my project studio as my needs change.
The unit itself is one rack unit high and seems sturdily made and looks good in the rack. Hooking it up to the Motu was easy, but the documentation supplied is a bit thin in content. I ended up following the setup done by the reviewer in Sound on Sound magazine, which is where I had read about the unit in the first place.
I am only using the line inputs so I can't comment on the Midas mic pre-amps but it's nice to have these for when/if I record some vox in the future. I would have preferred for there to be fewer mic inputs in order to make space round the back of the unit for the inputs. These are all located in the front with only the outputs located on the rear panel. This means I need to use a patch bay and cables in order to keep the clutter of leads at the back. I'm sure It couldn't push the cost up too far to move to a 2U unit and tuck everything away at the back, perhaps with a couple of inputs at the front as other manufacturers seems to do.
Since I've had the unit I have to confess that I have barely noticed it. I set the input levels of the analogue inputs and accessed the sound through the Motu software or as inputs 9-16 in my DAW. This is the highest recommendation I can give really - the ADA8200 just works without any fuss.